With summer all but a distant memory, it’s time to dig out our big cosy jumpers and brave the weather.
But it’s not all bad, one of the best things about winter is the hearty warming meals that we turn to. And Chilli con carne is one of the simplest, tastiest and most versatile of all winter recipes.
It really is hard to beat a steaming bowl of spicy, smoky chilli con carne!
Morrisons simple recipe is beautifully spiced with cumin and chilli powder and simmered slowly to allow all of the rich, Mexican flavours to infuse.
Check out the delicious recipe below:
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 onion, chopped
-1 clove garlic, finely chopped
-1 red pepper, chopped
-400g lean beef mince
-400g chopped tomatoes
-1 tsp chilli powder, or to taste
-½ tsp cumin
-400g kidney beans
-4 large baking potatoes
-10g rock salt
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- Preheat your oven to 180°. Cover a baking tray with salt.
- Wash, dry and prick the potatoes with a fork several times. Place on the baking tray and bake for around 1.5 hours in the oven. Depending on the size of the potato they may need more or less time.
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry garlic and onion gently for a couple of minutes
- Add the red pepper and stir for a couple more minutes.
- Put in mince and cook until lightly browned.
- Add tinned tomatoes, chilli powder and ground cumin – season with pepper.
- Bring to boil and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then put in the kidney beans and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve split the potato in half and cover with the chilli. Finish with cheddar if desired.
Be sure to visit Morrisons here at St Andrews Square for all your festive food and winter warmers!